Grade Level: 4th/5th
- Students must know how to add decimals before completing this lesson.
Students will be able to find the average weight of Pokemon characters.
- Ask students to think of what it means to find the average of something.
- Have partners discuss what average means.
- Share out and write responses on the board.
- Explain that students will be learning how to find averages of sets of data today.
- Begin with asking students to count the number of letters in their first name.
- Record the numbers on the board.
- Model how to add the numbers and then divide by the total number of students in the class.
- Explain those are the steps for finding the average of a set of data.
- Show two Pokemon cards and write the weights of the characters on the board.
- Model how to add the two weights together and then divide by the total number of data (2) to find the average weight of those two characters.
- Model the same process with three cards.
- Demonstrate how to fill this information into the Pokemon Average Weight Chart.
- Give students a list of numbers (with decimals to the tenths column) to find the averages using mini-whiteboards or pencil & paper.
- Have the students turn their whiteboards/paper to show you their answers.
- Continue practicing finding averages with random numbers.
- Pass out five Pokemon cards to each student.
- Have the students fill in the chart by picking two characters to find their average weight.
- Continue filling in that section by choosing two different characters to find their average weight.
- Continue until all possible combinations of two characters have been completed.
- Have students fill in the chart by picking three characters to find their average weights.
- Continue filling in that section by choosing three different characters to find their average weight.
- Continue until all possible combinations of three characters have been completed.
- Have students finish filling in the chart by finding the average weights with all the combinations of four characters and all the combinations of five characters.
- Exit ticket: Give students three or four new Pokemon cards to find the average of the characters’ weights on a half sheet of paper.