Grade Level: 2nd & 3rd
- This lesson is written for addition of multiples of tens; however, it can be adapted by switching the addition to subtraction.
- It is recommended that if you use this lesson for both addition & subtraction that each operation be taught on separate days.
Students will be able to add and/or subtract multiples of ten.
- Have the class skip count by 10s forwards (and backwards…optional).
- Have the class skip count by 20s forwards (and backwards…optional).
- Demonstrate how to add 20 + 40 using base ten blocks.
- Write 20 + 40 vertically on the board.
- Model how to add using the traditional algorithm.
- Write 60 + 70= on the board.
- Model how to solve using base ten blocks – this involves regrouping to the hundreds column.
- Write 60 + 70 vertically on the board and model how to add using the traditional algorithm with regrouping.
- Continue with more examples as needed.
- Write a multiple of ten addition problem on the board and have students practice solving it on mini-whiteboards or pencil & paper.
- Have the students flip their whiteboards/paper to show you their answers.
- Continue practicing as many problems together as needed.
- Pass out several Pokemon cards to each student.
- Have students choose two cards and use the HP numbers in the top right corner to write an addition number sentence to solve.
- You can decide how many problems you’d like each student to write and solve.
- Extension: Have students write number sentences with more than two numbers to solve.
- Exit Ticket: Have students solve two multiples of ten addition problems (one with regrouping and one without) on a half sheet of paper and explain with words or drawings how they solved the problems.